Sunday, September 16, 2012

Living the Dream


Kelsi and I are in the process of buying furniture from people on Craig’s List and/ or FreeCycle.  For those of you who don’t know, FreeCycle is like Craigslist, but, well, free.  We have filled our home with items that don’t currently match, but that will match once we stain and reupholster them.  It has been fun sanding old finish together and making trips to Home Depot (and pretending we know what we’re doing).
So far we have collected a large dresser that smells like old person, two chairs with beautiful wood but ugly blue fabric, a sturdy futon that needs… sanitization… a kitchen table and matching chairs (complete with dents and scratches, etc.), and a brown/ green ottoman that can only be described as “ the epitomization of heinousness”.
 But Kelsi is determined to make new covers, refinish wood, and replace old cushions.  And I’m sure when we’re done we will have some great stuff.  It’s fun to see her watching do-it-yourself videos and asking our Alaska family for ideas.  Neither of us knows what we’re doing, but hey, how hard could it be?

Yesterday I found myself with Kelsi eating in a much better decorated environment.  “The Silver Diner”.  I know, pretty posh.  We listened to Sweet Home Alabama while drinking a “chunky monkey banana” milk shake.  The waiter brought two straws as thick as my thumb, one blue, one pink. 
I thought my life couldn’t be better.  But oh, how wrong I was.
When we got home there was a package from Mom waiting at our door.  It had the ingredients and recipe for Sister Nausin’s Tortilla soup.  And treats for Ki.  And granola bars.  And new shoelaces- which I needed, but hadn’t gotten around to buying.  And a hot glue gun and ribbons (Kelsi was much more excited about the ribbons than me). 
Anyhoo, it was a taste of home and nice to get something from out west.  Ki gobbled up his treat and left bits of it all over the living room carpet.  I did the same with the granola bars.  We’re having the soup tonight, and I’m looking forward to adding the recipe to our stash of delicacies.
After working on my book for a while I asked Kelsi if she wanted to watch a movie.  She said no, she would rather play a game.  I said we should play Age of Empires against each other on the computer.  She said bring it on, so we went to Walmart and bought two copies for twenty bucks.  Hopefully world domination is a good family night activity. 
So I guess what I’m saying is that I’m pretty much they happiest person I know.  Wish you all the best and hope you are doing well.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, world domination in a changing living room. I love it. Thanks for the pictures with Ki, she looks adorable - and big. Were the straws gender specific?

    ReplyDelete