The Mormon musical left town yesterday. I decided to try and write an article in the newspaper. I got this idea from Preach My Gospel. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of time to reread what I wrote. In fact I wrote only one draft. As I read though it seemed a little edgy. You can read over it if you desire. I am open to feedback. I'll put it onto the end of the email.
Life is sweet mom--thank you for asking. Elder Johnson is from Utah. He has one older brother who is severely autistic. He is a blast to work with. He had a full ride scholarship to Weber State for his ability to play the trumpet. It would be way fun to play some tunes with him when we get back or something. It would be extremely fun to pay bossa nova with him.
The non-tracking is interesting. We are to work with and find through members. It is funny because the members are not aware of most of the change in missionary work. They are not aware that the Lord is hastening His work. I would take a solid referral over a meal appointment any day of the week. It really comes down to believing in the system and believing in the missionaries.
It is fun to be on the Lord's team!
Love you Mom!
The Real Mormon Musical
Mr. Jones opens his door and steps on the porch. He squints his eyes as the late morning light penetrates the sky. He looks up and sees two young men riding their bikes. One of them is tall and lanky, the other short and stout. Both have a white shirt and tie on. Mr. Jones chuckles to himself and raises his eyebrow in wonder. Who are those boys and why do they do what they do?
Hello. I am Elder Adams. I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints-- often called the "Mormon" church. Allow me to give you a VIP, behind the scenes look into my world. Forgive me for not using bright lights and music to say who I am and what I do. No Broadway show could ever give justice to our service and how we actually spend our time.
I rise at 6:30 every morning and prayerfully begin the early hours of the day. I do this because of my deep--life changing--belief that God is my Father as He is yours (see Romans 8:16). He wants to communicate with us. He decided to accomplish this through prayer. What a glorious reality! I hope you see how a firm belief in God can shape a young mans heart.
Every morning from 8 o'clock to 11 o'clock I devote to studying the word of God. The words of the Lord flowing from the lips of the Prophets. During this time God communicates to me through his Holy Spirit the truths found in the Bible and the Book of Mormon. I devote the rest of my day (until 9 o'clock) to inviting people to act on those words -- that is the words recorded in the Bible and the Book of Mormon.
I sense a questioning look on my reader's face. Perhaps you're wondering why I devote myself -- for two years by the way--day in, day out to this cause. You may ask," Elder Adams why do you spend you're days talking to strangers? Why do you focus on the Bible and the Book of Mormon? And what is the Book of Mormon in the first place!?" Hold on, allow me to explain.
I believe the Bible, when translated correctly, to be the word of God. I also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. The Bible contains an Old Testament of Jesus Christ (Genesis through Malachi) and a New Testament of Jesus Christ (Matthew through the Revelation of John). The Book of Mormon is another Testament of Jesus Christ. The Bible is an ancient record that contains God's dealings with man in and around Jerusalem. The Book of Mormon is an ancient record of God's dealings with man on the American continent. The Book of Mormon contains the fulness of Christ's everlasting Gospel. Many dubb us "Mormons" because of our belief in this wonderful book. Let me explain a little further.
My belief in Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon, and the Bible lay a foundation for who I am. This is why I do what I do. We as missionaries believe it our duty to "teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (see Matthew 28:18). What an amazing work we do! But how can you know about these truths I've discussed?
Don't let bright lights and corny music give you prejudice against the Book of Mormon. Don't let other people think for you. Read the Book of Mormon along with the Bible and figure out the Truth for yourself. If you don't have a Book of mormon or a Bible I'll give you one. I'm with you every step of the way. I tried to answer you're questions in this article but you'll have more. Feel free to call me--713 371 8965.
No comments:
Post a Comment