Monday, January 12, 2015

Joy

Throughout the mission you are given the opportunity to experience bits of joy. The first introductory page of Preach My Gospel tells us that more happiness awaits us than we have ever experienced as we labor among God's children. I've been thinking about this statement for the last little while. Questions arise in my mind. What is joy, how do we have it, and how can we retain it consistently in our lives? As always the conclusions end up pointing us to Jesus Christ and following Him. 

Jesus gave us the great key to abiding fulfillment when he taught His disciples in Jerusalem. "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full"(John 15:10-11). What a beautiful formula! The secret to consistent joy is to follow the commandments of the Almighty God. But He didn't keep this secret hidden to those in the Holy Land. God told prophets in the Americas the secret to joy as well.

After a lifetime of serving as King, Benjamin delivers an address to the people of Zarahemla. He testifies of Christ's divine mission and fore ordination and teaches the people how to follow Him, how to find financial success, and how to find lasting joy. "I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God"(Mosiah 2:41). Again, what a beautiful algorithm. It's so simple. Keeping the commandments of God leads to happiness. What's more is He will prosper you. "If ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you" (Mosiah 2:22) -- wisdom from a leader and man of God. Thank you Benjamin.

It is important to keep in mind that joy is not an easy process. The Book of Mormon teaches us that Adam and Eve would never have experienced joy if they hadn't experienced misery (2 Nephi 2:23). It isn't until we experience the result of transgression that we know to prize the good (Moses 6:55). And in the end we can choose for ourselves whether we want happiness or misery (2 Nephi 2:27). I choose happiness! I choose the God of Abraham! I choose Jesus Christ, the Almighty God! The choice is mine.

To close I'll discuss the thoughts of a great teacher of mine. As is often the case the affect of her teaching imprinted in me more than the subject she taught. She observed how people can become jaded over the years. Some people's light seems to dim. But she taught me the importance of remaining unjaded. An insight that I will always remember. She probably doesn't know it meant so much to me!

I love you, take care now y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment