It was another great week in Angleton!
I started reading Nathan's letter containing the scallop recipe with no intention of making scallops. The experience was eye-opening in all meanings of the phrase. The recipe had such attention to detail there was no need to do any cooking. I could already taste the succulent sea food.
I have always been one to analyze people's reactions. I'm not sure why I get such pleasure from such a simple act. The mission has enhanced my opportunities to see other's reaction. Let me give one brief example to illustrate my point, then I will move on.
We walked into the apartment office to pick up Elder Smith's package. The lady at the desk looked up in confusion. There must have been an information overload. She saw two young 19 year old men in white shirts and slacks. Both were incredibly attractive-- the taller one a little more so. Each had a black tag that identified himself as representatives of some organization. As her mind worked hard to process the constant flow of information she acted out in reflex. "What d' y'all want?" Her tone seemed to indicate a subtle appothetic feeling. She quickly recovered from her wide-eyed expression to a more relaxed look of confidence. We explained the situation to her and eventually tracked down the package Elder Smith needed.
It is interesting to see how different people react to the Mormon missionaries. Most people that I have talked to love that our message centers on Jesus Christ. Others will let us talk to them out of southern hospitality. And an even smaller number are just weird. The weird ones are the most memorable. When we walk into Walmart or some other building people notice.
The Bible belt is real. Southern hospitality is real as well.
I love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment