Recently I've pondered Peter's actions the night of Christ's trial, specifically his moments right before he parted company with his Master. Judas decided to turn Jesus into the priests through a kiss on the cheek. When the men came as thief's in the night to take Him, Peter thought it pertinent to cut Malchus' ear off. This action was of course out of line. What seemed right and pure to Peter was over aggressive and foolish to the honest bystander. Fortunately, Peter took correction well and discontinued the attack.
In Peter's eyes he was in the right. He gave up everything he had to follow Jesus-- career, family, friends, etc. The only thing he really had left that dreadful night was Christ himself. So in desperation he struck thinking his actions would fix the situation.
Jesus took this seemingly horrible circumstance and turned it into a positive learning experience for all. He quickly healed Malchus' ear. Then He taught. He reminded Peter He had power to stop the unjust trial. He told the priests that what they were doing was wrong. Then He calmly endured what was to come because it was His Father's will.
This story came to my mind as I listened to Elder Oaks' talk last weekend. A few phrases that stuck out to me where "practice civility", "be examples of civility", and "live peacefully". I learned the importance of being civil even when my God's name is at stake. Because in the end, He has the power and can stop any attack. A lesson Peter learned centuries earlier. So practice I will!
I loved the entire meeting. When we listen to conference every six months we have the opportunity to fulfill Isaiah's prophesy, "Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the Lord shall bring again Zion" (Isaiah 52:8). If we study the talks carefully we see "eye to eye" or we understand what is on the prophets' minds, then go and do.
I am so grateful to have the Apostles on the earth in this day. It is truly a blessing. I think back to the importance of the original Quorum of the 12 Apostles. After Judas left they needed to replace him with a disciple that was a witness of Christ's Resurrection. Matthias was eventually the man the Lord picked as His Apostle. This story underscores the importance of the original organization of the church. An organization used to deflect false doctrine (Ephesians 4:11-14). How grateful I am that this same organization exists today with full authority. All of the Apostles in this Quorum are also special witnesses of Jesus Christ. I don't know where I'd be without them.
Allow me to digress a bit and focus on things of a little less importance. We had the opportunity to play basketball with Derell. Wow he can jump! We picked teams and began the game after a quick dunk contest to see who the team captains were. I would love to give you a play-by-play description of the game but I frankly don't believe you have the patience for that. Instead I'll take the liberty to say it was fun.
I love you
No comments:
Post a Comment