Monday, February 9, 2015

Ebb and Flow



Uncle Funk stood at the front of the small classroom with his audience silent and jotting down notes. As part of the Lafayette summer camp he taught us theory everyday for an hour. It's interesting that the thing that stuck with me the most didn't have much to do with scales or rhythmic accompanying patterns. His short lecture about the connection between life and music stays with me to this day. He informed us that there needs to be ups and downs in music. There needs to be minors and majors and dominants all in the same song because that is what life is like. We have good times and bad times and everything in-between. And that is good. It is right. We learn and grow and enjoy what comes.

I love the example of Nephi. He looked to God in all things at all times. He had many ups and downs in his life. Times of prosperity, times of hunger, times of frustration, and times of pure joy and revelation. This is the human experience and it's sweet. But one part of his character sticks out through the thick and thin of his life-- his belief in God and His power to deliver. "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them". What courage and determination!

I don't know if it's the caveman-hunter-gatherer in me but I like the story of Nephi catching the beast in the forest. His bow broke and everyone in the company started complaining and wondering if they were going to make it. Even Lehi wondered a little bit. Fortunately, Nephi built a new bow and despite all odds found the beast under inspiration of his father and slew the animal to the astonishment of the group. His faith in God was unfailing. What a good example!

On the mission we have ups and downs as well. Friends hearing the message, others loosing interest, people making life changing decisions for good, and others for bad. All these experiences affect us, molding and shaping us into who we are. But one element of our lives nobody can change. We always have the ability to look to God and live through the good or the bad. I am so grateful for a loving God who looks out over us and is there on the good days and the bad days. If 
we turn to Him He will be there.

I love the words of Jesus Christ Himself "Be of good cheer, for I will lead you along" (D&C 78:18).

I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment