I really enjoyed Nate's message. It's a game changer for sure.
Sister Anglin graciously invited us over to crochet with her friends this last Saturday. We showed up a few minutes late due to the train stopping on the tracks just before her house but all was well when we arrived. She gave us the materials and information needed to start our patterns. You begin the stitch with a slip knot then form a chain weaving the yarn with a hook. After this you merely follow the instructions on the paper to form your desired design. For example one design will read something like this "ch 40, dc 4, dc 4, repeat". As I started to follow the formula I realized I was in way over my head. The instructions might as well have been Egyptian Hieroglyphics. Fortunately, sister Anglin helped us out every step of the way. We'll get it down in a couple weeks. Although slightly frustrating, the experience was rewarding because of the kindness of the host and those gathered around.
I've enjoyed southern hospitality over the last couple years. There is a certain generous, kind way that people interact, especially in more rural ares. I think God is teaching me. I really do. I think about playing pool at the Hails on preparation day, getting rides with the members when we're in a bind, and spending quality time at brother Hill's. These of course are only a few of the many examples of goodness I've been exposed to.
John tells us that eternal life is to know the true God, and Jesus Christ whom God sent. This raises the question in my mind, "how do we come to know God and Jesus Christ?" Peter helps us understand in his 2nd epistle general.
He begins his letter by introducing Christlike attributes-- diligence, virtue, faith, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, charity. Then he tells us the secret to knowing God "For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1:8). If we come to know Jesus, we will come to know God as well (John 14: 7). I'm starting to understand that discipleship is better measured by who you are, than what you know.
As our attitude, demeanor and character change to conform to the characteristics of Christ, we will come to know Him better and come to know God the Father in the process.
With this in mind please allow me to share inspiration from the mouth of Jeremiah. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor , and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least to the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more" (Jeremiah 31:33-34).
I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment