The whole internet thing here is a little
whacky. I’m not sure if we already have an internet connection in our apartment
right now or not. We are staying in the apartment of a Dentist who helped get
the Clinic up and running and then had to go home to take care of his family
because his child got killed in a airplane accident. I don’t know if it was a
son or daughter but their grandchildren are without a home and he will not be
coming back until after the holidays maybe sometime in January. We will be
staying in this apartment until ours will be ready sometime in the middle of
November.
When I get to the Dental Clinic they have
Wi-Fi connected to the LDS access and most of the time it is running very well.
But we are so busy that I haven’t had time to really do more than check on a
few things for the 5 or 10 minutes I snatch. I’m sorry I haven’t gotten back to
those who wrote – I will in a day or two.
When the missionaries arrive at the MTC we
have an intake day. The week after intake day is really a mad scramble for the
clinic as we only have 2 ½ weeks until the missionaries are in the field. So
the first week the most needy missionaries are seen first – usually those who
have had no dental care in their entire lives and have holes all over their
teeth. Dr. Stewart will numb one side of their mouth and do as many procedures
as he can and then have them come in the next day or day after that and do the
other half of their mouth. Sometimes they can have many fillings and pulp caps
or root cannels and they are lucky if nothing is bad enough to be extracted.
Dr. Stewart will do everything he can to save a tooth. The missionary
president’s wives would live close to Manila, try to get their missionaries into the MTC clinic because when
they send missionaries to the regular dentists they tend to extract the tooth
whenever there is a toothache.
Sister Stewart told me about one missionary
president’s wife telling the elder to tell the dentist to save his tooth. When
he got back from the dentist he asked the president’s wife what she wanted to
do with the tooth he brought back in a little bag. I had to laugh because
understanding for me is difficult too.
Today the Stewarts started seeing
missionaries at 6 am and didn’t take a lunch break because there was an
emergency patient from the missionary field who had been in pain for 10 days.
When I went home at 5:15 pm they were in taking care of the last patient. I’m
hoping they get home at a reasonable time tonight and get some sleep. We have a
very tight schedule tomorrow too.
I’m writing this at home and hoping I can
post it in between breaks tomorrow – if there are any – I do think about you
sometimes during my day though mostly I’m earning my “merit badges” as Sister
Stewart and I call each of the different duties I learn and figure out. Mostly
I just drop into bed each night. Tonight I’m determined to stay awake until 9
so I can get up at a reasonable time like 5 instead of 1 or 3 like Jeffrey is
doing. That’s ok for him as he has been receiving some incredible insight and
dreams. This whole mission is wonderful and fantastic!
No comments:
Post a Comment