Monday, May 19, 2014

Identity

In the 1964 film Forever Families we see a young man striving to find out who he is. My companion and I pour over the thoughts expressed in the film silently taking notes. The cinematography and overall quality of this project along with all other church films made in this era are top notch, as I'm sure you're well aware. We ponder as the vocalist in the background makes a subtle but powerful statement--"I've got to find out who I am". Even though the author of this quote remains anonymous we can all further ponder what he has to offer.
 
We are the children of God (Romans 8:16)! Believe it! Live it! Love it! And beware of spiritual identity theft. It's subtle and its real.
 
I received a slightly disturbing phone call the other night at 9:30. "You and your companion need to pick up Elder Cordtze, he was in a car accident". As I pulled up to the scene my muscles quickly relaxed when I saw the characteristic smile found only on Elder Cordtze face. I soon found out he hit a car while riding a bike. The side window was smashed in, the side mirror obliterated, and the side paneling severely dented. Elder Cordtze stood without a scratch on his body!! That's my boy!! As we say in our apartment "that is one big Samoan!" Angels watch over us lest we dash our feet against a stone.
 
The Alief district arose early the day of the Temple trip. President Ashton thought it pertinent that every missionary under his watchful care have the opportunity to ask questions about the endowment. We shared our time in the chapel with President and Sister Ashton along with the Temple President and his wife. I took as much advantage of this situation as I knew how. The experience was amazing as you might imagine. After our gathering President Ashton gave us individual hugs on our way out. I decided to surprise him by squeezing abnormally tight! Hey why not? Mine as well keep him off balance. Who knows what's coming next. Haha!
 
Good times! Take care now y'all and be safe! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment