As we sang the African spiritual Were you there? my eyes connected with Elder Schuller's. You could see the look of appreciation and confidence in his face as his arms sailed through the air to either quiet or louden the choir. But something else abode in his countenance. A fire that swelled deep within. Only those present could feel what I describe now. We pondered the lyrics as we made our joyful noise. "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?. . . Oh, sometimes it causes me to tremble". I will never forget this moment. Perhaps we sang together merely 21 years previous.
To enhance our role-plays during companionship study we've decided to film our experience. As I review the film I am reminded of my high school basketball days. "Look at that help side defense! Number 45 is on fire right now! Did he seriously dunk in traffic?!" But now I review the tape for a much nobler cause. "Did you hear that testimony? That how to begin teaching was superb! Did he seriously extend a baptismal invitation?!" Well I suppose we don't necessarily say that but I do pick up interesting tidbits. For example my left eyebrow has a tendency to raise on its own accord.
I enjoyed the conversation we had yesterday! Those memories will only be had within an elite group. Mom Rachel and I will just have to hold on to them.
One more quick story then I must leave you. Elder Baird stuck his food in the microwave. He pressed the power button only to watch the time run down. There was no cooking going on. In confusion he asked "what do I do?" I hit the top of the microwave with my fist and patted him on the back as the unit roared into action. "Welcome to Alief Elder!"
I love you
No comments:
Post a Comment