Monday, June 30, 2014

Talking

We received a new missionary in our district a few days ago. This gives us a baker's dozen-- 13 missionaries--in the Alief ward. There are three sets of Elders one set of sisters, a senior couple and two office missionaries. During ward council we had about half the missionaries in the room. Elder Nilson (an office missionary) made the comment that his half of the room looked better than our half of the room. It happened that the sister missionaries were on his half and the Elders on our half. I had to reply although I knew he was right, "Yes but we have brother Algali on our side".
 
Throughout daily life as a missionary we get opportunities to talk to people of all walks of life. We ran into a very spiritual women the other day that is one sixteenth Cherokee. She spoke of her connection with her family and God. She ended up giving me a Cherokee name-- Yellow Arrow.
 
There are may other opportunities to talk to others throughout the day. More and more I find myself experimenting during the course of a casual conversation. Just yesterday we saw a woman washing her window from the inside. Fortunately the window was opened so I called in. "Hey is Freddy home?" She looked at me with those eyes. I could read her mind. "Are you seriously talking through my window right now?" But I continued our dialogue oblivious to any concerned or questioning look.
 
Apparently if I had more faith that woman would have been baptized. Haha!
 
One lady we talked to said I look like Christian Bale and Paul Walker. Yes I would have to agree. I'm Christian Bale when he led a rebellion to overthrow Pulitzer and Hearst. And again when he singlehandedly saved the city he came to revere. And I'm Paul Walker every time I drive the "Man-Van" or herald a sled through the artic freeze.
 
I hope you sense an overwhelming feeling of cheerfulness and gratitude as you read these emails. I love this mission and am so grateful the Lord allowed me to serve in His vineyard at this time. I'll have to admit I am guilty of levity at times. Fortunately, Joseph Smith was and he turned out ok. My main objective in writing is to uplift the reader. Take them out of the ruts of the ordinary and into "a whole new world". As I do so I keep Elder Uchtdorf's comment in mind, "The more you trust and rely on the Spirit the greater your capacity to create". I hope I never come off flippant or overbearing. But if I do always know you have the liberty of telling me.
 
Know I love you, please do! That's my commitment for you this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment