Tuesday, August 5, 2014

August 4, 2014

The other day we drove the "man van" through the busy streets of Houston. I watched one man yell out his window at someone but the recipient couldn't understand what was being uttered. He must have forgot the Doppler Effect he learned in high school. This is basic physics-- your voice is going to be distorted if you're going 45 miles an hour. The poor people on the sidewalk can only image what you have to say. What ever it was I'm sure it was uplifting, ennobling, and extremely positive. Why would you say something to tear someone else down?
 
We drove down the street listening to the Moleni brothers. The first song on the album is my favorite. The first line sticks out, "As time passes by I don't know why you've always stood by my side". Of course I can't give the lyric justice over a cold lifeless email, but you're just gonna have to just deal with it. At this point in the song Mr. Moleni is communicating to God. And I personally think this statement deserves a little analysis.
 
How do we find security in a changing world? How can we know God is by our side? How do we abide in Him and Him in us? Part of the answer to this question lies in 1 John 3:24 "And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth‍ in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth‍ in us, by the Spirit‍ which he hath given us". We know we abide in Him if we keep His commandments. And He shows us through His spirit. How do we know His spirit? John warns us in the next verse "believe not every spirit,but try‍ the spirits‍ whether they are of God". I believe the answer to this lies in D&C 11: 12-14. I'll let you make the connections.
 
A couple weeks ago I omitted a story I meant to share due to lack of time (or desire, I don't remember). We got 5 dollar haircuts at Hair By Tony as a district. Before we entered the shop Elder Schwemmer told me he was going to get a 3 on the top and a 2 on the bottom. I don't think he knew that 3 in the barber shop language means 3 centimeters and 2 likewise means 2 centimeters. We ended up getting our hair done at the same time, me on one side of the isle, him on the other. About 5 minutes into the hair clipping procedure I looked up and saw Elder Schwemmers hair falling to the ground and even better I saw the expression on his face. I had to physically restrain myself from not laughing out loud. Good times. Elder Schwemmer took it like a champ and rocked the new look. It's not always how you look but how you carry yourself that makes the difference. And Elder Schwemmer carries himself like a son of God (Romans 8:16).

No comments:

Post a Comment