Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Previous letter: Angelton Area


Sounds like a way good week for everyone! Way exciting.
At the end of your letter you asked me some questions -- let me try to answer some of them.
I am getting the opportunity to teach and it is way fun. It is fun to try to see what the spirit wants for the investigator. During the lessons I asked myself, " What does this person's ancestors want this person to know". I also wonder if those ancestors are in the room. The hearts of the fathers are turned to their children.
My companion is definitely going to be a friend for life. He was an avid swimmer before the mission. He won a few state championships in Utah. He is super diligent as well. He has a couple containers of flashcards that he uses to memorize lots and lots of scriptures. He is Elder Smith by the way.
The ward is way nice to its missionaries. They have a genuine love for us. They especially like Elder Smith because he has been here for over three months I think. We get fed more than half of the week usually! (Texas Barbecue is like no other.)
The ward is small. We have one building for four cities which makes it difficult for members to make it to church each week. You may be thinking, "But distance shouldn't matter Elder Adams -- the blessings of going to church far outweigh the inconvenience of driving a few extra miles to church!" If this is your thought I would have to side with you but I also agree with Dad's philosophy about seminary: " You have to make it so good they know their missing something".
I have had a couple opportunities to play the piano. I play in district meeting. I may or may not have jazzed up the prelude hymns for my own enjoyment. And maybe a couple latin grooves. But I do remember playing hymns during the meetings. Do you think you could send me the piano book that has the "Come Thou Font" arrangement? This is our mission hymn and the zone leaders where asking if I could play something during one of their devotionals. That would be awesome. And if you are already sending something do you think you could slip some classical music cds with it?
Life is good. I like being a missionary. I have come to understand the necessity of some of the more bizarre mission rules after experiencing first hand the cognitive ability and decision making process of some of the Elders in the mission. I feel bad and have a deep respect for the sister missionaries that have to abide the same constraints as the before mentioned persons.
Quick note to Rachel -- the Mavis Beacon on my laptop was uninstalled because it kept freezing the screen. I'm not sure where the cd went.
A quick note to the family as a whole to make y'all feel warm and fuzzy: I have been in the homes of many people. If nothing else my mission has given me a deeper respect and love for my family. (I wish I could slip some fancy Andrewism in this paragraph to make everyone laugh but I must lament and accept the fact that I am not Andrew. Congrates to him for graduating though, well done my good man.)
I send you off in the words of Nacho Libre. "Hug hug, kiss kiss, little hug, big kiss, small hug, kiss kiss". (I hope you understand this reference, because if you don't you may think it is a little awkward. It is a risk I am willing to make. Sometimes you must "risk it to get the biscuit".)
-Elder Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment