The teenage boys stood nonchalant occasionally throwing up a poorly aimed ball towards the hoop. They socialized in the front yard shooting the breeze when we biked by in the humid evening. I saw the rim calling my name, only nine feet off the ground. "Elder, let's do this thing".
We stopped by and I offered to show off my basketball skills by letting one of the younger of the three throw me an "alley-op". I calculated the distance to the hoop and the necessary force acquired to propel myself to the desired location. In my haste I forgot one key variable--I haven't played real basketball in forever.
As my feet left earth I realized the shortcomings of my plan. The leather flew above my outstretched fingertips. Fortunately, I am not one to be daunted by such and occasion. Elder Marchant and I finished the ensuing basketball game. You may be wondering who won that game. I think it sufficient to say we came off the conquerer.
Elder Marchant is "The Man". Yes, I admit that I use that phrase far too often, but in this case I'll risk repetition to stress the point. I met him at transfer meeting.
Transfer meeting was awesome! With President Ashton you have no idea what will go down. One Elder was transferred into a Vietnamese speaking area -- a language he hadn't learned before! He had already been out for nine months. We had two new zones made because of the influx of missionaries. We are in one of those new zones, the Lake Jakson Zone. I can honestly say I love this mission, I love the humidity, I love the people of Angleton!
When President Ashton makes a decision you know it is backed by the spirit. What he says goes because he is in tune with the Lord's will for us. He made a comment during the meeting that really resonated with me. The Lord knows how to succor His people. He knows what you need. Sometimes we need to be stretched and sometimes we need to heal. He knows who we need to associate with.
I pondered that for a long time. I read Alma 7:11-12. What he said is true. The Lord knew that I needed to be called to preach His Gospel in Texas. He knew I needed Elder Smith and Elder Marchant. We can help the Lord succor His people.
I am grateful to be able to tell everyone the Good News. Jesus Christ came into the world to do the will of our Heavenly Father. Through Him all mankind may be saved through making and keeping two-way promises with God. I am grateful to witness the power of Godliness in those ordinances of the Gospel, including baptism (D&C 84:20). If you look for it you will find it.
You're awesome! I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment