I mentioned over skyp just yesterday that I had an interesting experience with mysterious beans this week. I worry my anxious reader will bore him or herself as I expound the short story yet again. I must admit that my purposes in this are slightly selfish-- the story puts a slight smile on my face as I relate it.
It was at lunchtime, high noon, when I discovered a can of beans that would work perfectly with a large tortilla chip and cheese to fill my stomach. I ignored the tale-tell signs that these beans had no business entering my stomach. They were slightly uncovered at the bottom of the fridge. As I ate freely I didn't know that I would see these very beans and their companions again in a less joyous situation. I sense that my reader sees what comes next in this story, partly because he or she is extremely intelligent, but also because of my foreshadowing skills.
"Elder, I don't feel good". I mentioned this a couple minutes before Elder Smith decided to clean the bathroom floor. Luckily we were at the church which had a nice sized mop.
The next incident occurred at a less active members house. We entered and I quickly found out there was going to be an epic struggle. Unfortunately, the battle ended on the less active member's lawn. I remember Elder Smith's words of encouragement. "He'll be fine".
Thank you for bearing with me as I related the story. It remains one of the good moments of the mission because I was reminded that God has all power.
What does God do when he needs to humble his people? In D&C 43 he describes several ways starting in verse 25. He sends prophets, ministering angels, the voice of thunderings and tempests, and the voice of famine. Do we hear these voices in our own life?
I hear the voice of famine when I fast. Fortunately, it is a controlled environment were I choose to do so. I feel an added blessing when I do this because I choose to humble myself (Alma 32:14). The Lord then works to change my heart because I have offered up unto him a broken heart and a contrite spirit. (3 Nephi 9:20). As I follow this pattern I become strong according to Mormon's promise in Ether 12:27. Cool stuff! Hopefully it made sense.
I love you all individually! Have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment