Monday, September 15, 2014

Salt of the Earth

I look forward to visiting with President Ashton tomorrow during our quarterly interviews. Unique memories are made at each session. The spirit is always there and a lot is learned. But my favorite memory with the Ashton's came shortly after one of President's semi-annual lock your heart emails.

After we got our potatoes for zone conference lunch my companion and I sat down at the nearest table which happened to be the table President sat at. His wife had to leave early so she came over and gave him a big kiss on the cheek. It was funny to see his reaction. His faced changed from normal to overjoyed, almost like he was back in elementary school again. 

This act may seem insignificant to most people but it would rock your world if you weren't accustomed to any public displays of affection. Perhaps if we were younger we would have said "ooooooo!" but we are older, more mature, and sophisticated. We went on with lunch and the rest of the days festivities. 

Throughout my mission I've wondered why the Lord would send the Ashton's as Mission President and wife when they have 7 children the youngest of which being 10 days old when they entered the mission field. But the answer is blatantly apparent. Among other things the Lord wanted every missionary to witness a great example of a Christ centered home where love and nurturing lead with a scepter of righteousness. Well that and they are super successful at whatever they put their minds to. I know that they are the Lord's anointed.

Recently I've pondered how Peter felt after Christ told him he would be the rock and gave him the keys of the kingdom upon the earth. Can you imagine what that would be like? Peter puts it in perspective when he gives his first epistle general chapter 2. He explains that the people are the stones of the spiritual house, Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone (verses 5-6). Paul backs him up in 1 Corinthians 10:4 by saying Christ is indeed the rock. Peter still recognized who's church it is. Peter also realized there would be an apostasy-- a dreadful falling away from Christ's gospel. This occurs in the Acts of the Apostles chapter 3 verses 20-21 "And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began". Peter knew there would be a falling away and a subsequent restitution.

We live in this great day. The priesthood of Almighty God has been restored to the earth as prophesied in the holy scriptures. 

I leave you with a quote from Jarred Radnick's Rubix Cube "Its a beautiful time to live right now". I enjoy his song except the very ending. He ends on the Dominant which clashes with my inner sense of rightness and balance. In my humble opinion it should end on the Ionian. And if you have to have it unique try the Dorian. But who am I to say?

I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment